Belgium: 10-year-old admitted to hospital with carbon monoxide intoxication

Belgium: A ten-year-old was taken to the hospital in Ixelles on Thursday evening with the carbon monoxide (CO) intoxication, which was caused by the poor discharge of combustion gases from a water heater in the bathroom, according to the Brussels fire Brigade report.

Currently, the boy is not in a deadly situation. The incident took place on Thursday at about 22:40 in Rue Van Eyck in Ixelles, near Abbaye de la Cambre. A resident called the emergency services because the CO detector in his home had gone off.

Advertisement

Moreover, the man had opened the windows of his home in the meantime, preventing the situation from worsening. Upon arrival, the fire brigade found very high CO levels in the bathroom ceiling, caused by the poor drainage of the combustion gases from the water heater.

The family’s son was found to be intoxicated by the CO as well as was taken to the hospital for treatment. He is out of danger.

Along with this, the Fire Brigade spokesperson Walter Derieuw highlighted the preventive measures to be taken to avoid CO intoxication, ensure the supply of fresh air and ventilation, have an approved appliance installed by a recognized technician as well as have a technician carry out the obligatory checks and regular maintenance.

Derieuw mentioned in the statement, “The discharge of combustion gases must also be carried out in accordance with and be checked. Also, pay attention to the CO warnings of the RMI.”

Furthermore, headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea, vomiting, fast pulse, shortness of breath, convulsions, chest pain, confusion, and loss of consciousness are all signs of CO intoxication.

 

ADV

Hot Topics

Related Articles

Translate »